Antislavery Society Historical Marker, Ann Arbor, MI


Antislavery Society Historical Marker, Ann Arbor, MI

"Antislavery Society: The founding meeting of the Michigan Antislavery Society was held in the First Presbyterian Church, located on this site [southwest corner E. Huron and Division Streets], on November 10, 1836. Delegates from six counties elected officers and adopted fourteen resolutions denouncing slavery. This convention led to the establishment in Jackson in 1839 of the American Freeman, the state's first antislavery newspaper and its successor, Ann Arbor's Signal of Liberty, in 1841."



Copyright: Creative Commons (Attribution, Non-Commercial, Share-alike)


| Report Problem